Google Analytics Alternative

Friday, January 21, 2011

A Day in the Life of a Thrifter

day21b

Hey Everyone!!!  Here is my first installment of my new segment, A Day in the Life of a Thrifter.  Hopefully everyone caught a glimpse of my guest post at Citizen Rosebud about my pledge to buy only second hand for a whole year.  Let me be clear that there will be stipulations.  Like my underwear, socks, and tights will be new.  Something about second hand undergarments gives me the creeps.

day21

I wanted to give you some tips on a different kind of second hand buying, and that is consignment.  All types of consignment shops work differently, but my latest experience was at Plato's Closet.  I like Plato's Closet because it's instantaneous.  Other consignment shops usually have you sign contracts, and then every quarter of the year they stroke you a check for a percent of your sales.  I'm pretty impatient, so that is why I enjoy places like Plato's Closet.  

day21c

On Sunday I cleaned out all the garments from my closet which I hadn't worn for a year or more, made sure they were neat, pressed, and folded and then lugged my bag to the store.  It took about 15 minutes and they scoured through my things, picked out what they wanted and gave me 1/3 of the price of what they were selling them.  That's not a whole lot, but I was trying to clean out my closet, not make a ton of money.  Then I traded the money for these fine things. Say hello to my brand new beige oxfords, skinny jeans, and a cute spring-time dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment