Google Analytics Alternative

Thursday, January 7, 2010

What Makes Us Fashionable?

I've always wondered why other fashion bloggers became so fashionable. I've noticed that many of them have already mentioned that there was a time in their lives where they just weren't concerned with fashion and lived in jeans and t-shirts. I wondered what turned them around to fashion? I know for myself, it started out of necessity. I transitioned from a pre-school teacher, to a bank teller, so I had to step up my game. It was embarrassing but I had absolutely no dresses, skirts, blouses, Nothing! And I went into my job interview in a t-shirt, jeans, and flip flops. Too be fair I thought I was going there to just fill out an application but they called me in for an interview right after they read my application. But still. Another reason why I transitioned was I was only shopping at New York and Company. All the other bank tellers were doing it! Then my manager started purposely buying the same clothes I bought, because she thought it'd be cute. So off to the thrift store I went. And I never looked back. So, ha ha ha!!! After doing that I started looking for inspiration from Lucky Style Spotter and discovered Jessica's blog What I Wore and she became my mentor of fashion.









So I'm interested! What turned you all on to fashion?


blouse, thrifted ($2) cardi, NYandCo (gift) skirt, Target ($10) ruffle flats, Target (gift) ring, designed by me ($12)

7 comments:

  1. This is a great post! It is interesting to think about how personal style evolves. I loved reading your story!

    For me, I am from a very small town, so it wasn't until I left for college that I feel like I truly developed my personal style. Since I moved to a big city I had more resources like thrift stores, vintage stores, and UO, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happened to buy a tunic on sale and wanted a specific type of shirt to wear under it, but I couldn't find what I wanted. I did a web search, stumbled across (1) some fashion blogs and (2) the Anthropologie site, and realized WOW, clothes can be creative and interesting. It totally changed my perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to think of how girls are turned onto fashion! I think for me .. the biggest thing was losing my weight! I've always lurked the Olsen twins though.. and I think between losing my weight, seeing Ashley Olsen on the cover of Marie Claire, buying that.. finding Who What Wear, finding bloggers.. I got hooked. It was kind of a whirlwind thing.. but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know for sure that as a little girl I was always dressing up and changing outfits like 3 times a day. I wanted to become a fashion designer when growing up but I did not get to that. I love fashion and growing up my inspiration was my mom. But my style start evolving when I stumbled on fashion blogs, I am hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was definitely thrift stores for me too. and discovering bloggers I loved. Seeing their courage and craft taught me to just go for it! You look absolutely lovely today buy the way! the blouse and skirt thing is so classy and chic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to have found your blog, and on such a fun post. I worked as a rec leader for a school, then at a deli, then a print shop, work never really asked me to look anything but functional. I've always had "cute" clothes but never have had a real "style", so I had to make an effort to define who I wanted my clothes to say I was. Its a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alix, it is a work in progress. Fashion isn't the most important thing in life, but if you can use it as a way to feed your creative interest, then by all means go for it and reach your goals. I'm also a work in progress. I would love to have the guts to mix crazy patterns in a seamless way, but I'm not there yet. One of these days...

    I love everyones answer to my question. It's so interesting to see other's points of view!

    ReplyDelete